Organisations & People in Projects
You are a management consultant who has been appointed to lead an organisational structuring project. You are required to provide a report that analyses the roles and responsibilities within a firm and provides an outline proposal for an optimum
structure. Your paper should be written in the style of a consultant’s report.
To propose and rationalise a suitable structure for an organisation based on a given list of employees’ roles.
Choose ONE of the organisations described on page 3/4. Your task is to:
– Propose a structure for the organisation based on the list of employees’ roles provided.
– Rationalise the proposed structure in terms of:
o its appropriateness in relation to the business activity and its environment,
o its effective functioning
o the benefits that the organisation might expect from its adoption
– Outline the implications for the firm of implementing the proposed structure in terms of training, costs, ICT and
general human resource management.
Other than the list of roles, and a specified area of business activity, the brief provides very little information about the firms
in question. It is up to you to do some research and use your creativity to provide an overview of the firm.
You may wish to consider the following:
– Where is the firm located? (It does not have to be the UK)
– What are the characteristics of the economic context and competitive environment?
– How does the firm organise the work that it has? (by size and/or type of job, customer type, geographical
As you develop your structure, you may alter, add or remove positions from the list as you see fit. However, the purpose of
the exercise is not to make significant changes to the size or general business activity of the firm.