The text covers the thorny history of race relations in America. The events of the Reconstruction during the late 19th century highlight some of the complications that white Americans and people of color encountered as they attempted to live together.
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
1. Examine three (3) methods that the overwhelmingly white southerner power structure used after the Civil War to make the exercise of freedom challenging for former slaves.
2. Identify three (3) actions which freed people took in order to challenge the efforts of certain white southerners to keep them in a slave status following the end of the Civil War.
3. Describe two (2) aspects of the post-Reconstruction political and social climate that left former slaves and other groups vulnerable to discrimination and second-class citizenship. Note: Discuss at least two (2) pieces of legislation at the local, state, and/or federal levels during the 19th century that solidified the status of African Americans and other non-white Americans.
4. Provide two (2) examples of the effects of racial tension from the 19th century which have spilled over into American society today.
5. Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment besides the textbook. Note: Wikipedia and most other nonacademic Websites do not qualify as academic resources. For instance, Ask.com, homework wikis and other Websites are not suitable