The effect of mother employment on families and children
Prepare case study of observed interactions between a parent and a child in which the child’s behavior appeared to challenge the adult. Describe each incident separately. Use the framework developed early in this course to critically examine the image of the child that may have been held by the adult in the case study. Provide suggestions about how your image of the child and the discourse you use could have provided a more positive way of fostering the child’s social competence.
The case study should be about interactions that you have observed in an early childhood service. Also it should portray an incident where both the adult and the child appeared upset, angry or frustrated. Communication (oral and body language) should be recorded. Also provide:
• the approximate age of the child;
• the gender of both participants;
• the time of day and the context in which each incident occurred;
• the weather (for example, is the heat affecting child or adult?);
• the state of health of the participants (for example, a tired child);
• surrounding noise levels; and
• organizational issues(if applicable).
Use Bronfenbrenner’s bioecological theory, or Vygotsky theory, Or Family Systems theory to explain the people, community, environmental systems and resources that support or influence a child in your own family or in another family you know well.