This essay is written in toulmin and revisions should also be written in toulmin.
Instructions for Final Essay:
• Respond to one of the essay prompts.
• Write a 2-page, double-spaced, 5-paragraph essay.
• Include a separate title page which will precede your 2-page essay but is still part of the same document.
• Highlight your thesis statement and all topic sentences
• Include a Works Cited page that follows MLA documentation style which will follow your 2-page essay but is still part of the same document. See your Harbrace
handbook and your textbook for explanation of the MLA documentation.
• Be sure that your essay is a full 2 pages of text only, including no quotations longer than suggested by MLA format.
• Always assume that your audience is your instructor and fellow students.
Your Essay Must Include:
• Correct MLA format for college-essay writers
• Short answers to these questions at the bottom of your title page:
1. Which argument style did you choose?
2. Briefly paraphrase the purpose of your essay.
3. What is your thesis? (Copy and paste it onto your title page. DO NOT SUMMARIZE.)
4. What are the 3 key claims of your body paragraphs? (They should be included in the topic sentences of each of your 3 body paragraphs. Copy and paste your topic
sentences onto your title page. DO NOT SUMMARIZE.)
• Your textbook as your primary source (if any part of it is used in your essay) and 2-3 additional Secondary Sources. See the Secondary Source list below to
verify your sources.
The Essay should only be two pages double spaced and only 5 paragraphs to work with.
Secondary Source List:
ANY SOURCE USED IN AN ESSAY THAT DOES NOT APPEAR ON THE SECONDARY SOURCE LIST FOR THIS COURSE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AS PART OF THE 2-3 SOURCE REQUIREMENT FOR THIS ESSAY
WITHOUT INSTRUCTOR’S APPROVAL. You must use any of the below as secondary sources.
3. The Atlantic Monthly
4. The New York Times
5. The Dallas Morning News
6. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram
7. U.S. News & World Report
8. Mother Jones
9. The New Republic
10. The New Yorker
11. The New York Times Magazine
12. National Review
13. The American Prospect