Principles of Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Consider the following statement, “In recent years, some of the terms used to refer to business logistics have included (but are not limited to) the following … logistics management (and) supply chain management. Although the aforementioned terms are similar, they aren’t the same.” (Murphy and Wood 2011, p22).
Discuss this proposition. Do the terms, ‘logistics management’ and ‘supply chain management’ have the same meaning in operations? Briefly explain how logistics management adds value to the operations of a manufacturing or service organisation.
This assignment contributes to achievement of learning objectives ‘1’, ‘2’ and ‘4’ for the course.
Graduate qualities – this assignment contributes to achieving graduate qualities 12, 2, 6.
It is expected that you will research widely using the UniSA Library database search facilities. It is also expected that you will use, as a minimum, eight (8) academic references including five (5) journal articles to present your answers.
Please do not use Wikipedia, or other non-academic websites as the basis for your analysis or argument.
Journal articles; in researching for Assignment 12, the following journal articles may assist:
• Ballou, R.H. 2007, ‘The evolution and future of supply chain management’, European Business Review, Vol.19, No.4, pp.332-348.
• Esper, TL, Fugate, BS & Davis-Sramek, B 2007, ‘Logistics learning capability: sustaining the competitive advantage gained through logistics leverage’, Journal of Business Logistics, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 57-81.
• Green Jr., K.W., Whitten, D. & Inman, R.A. 2008, ‘The impact of logistics performance on organizational performance in a supply chain context’, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, Vol.13, No.4, pp.317-327.
• Gundlach, G.T., Bolumole, Y.A., Eltantawy, R.A. & Frankel, R. 2006, ‘The changing landscape of supply chain management, marketing channels of distribution, logistics and purchasing’, Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, Vol.21, No.7, pp.428- 438.
• Halldorsson, A, Kotzab, H, Mikkola, JH &Skjoett-Larsen, T, 2007, ‘Complementary theories to supply chain management’, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, Vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 284-296.
• Larson, P &Halldorsson, A 2004, ‘Logistics vs. supply chain management: an international survey’, International Journal of Logistics: Research & Applications, Vol. 7, No.1, pp.17-31.
• Larson, P., Poist, R., &Halldórsson, Á., 2007, ‘Perspectives on Logistics vs SCM: a survey of SCM professionals’, Journal of Business Logistics, Vol. 28 Issue 12, pp1-24,
• Lummus, R.R., Krumwiede, D.W. &Vokurka, R.J. 2001, ‘The relationship of logistics to supply chain management: developing a common industry definition’, Industrial Management & Data Systems, Vol.101, Issue 8, pp.426-431.
• Mentzer, J.T., DeWitt, W., Keebler, J.S., Min, S., Nix, N.W., Smith, C.D. &Zacharia, Z.G. 2001, ‘Defining Supply Chain Management’, Journal of Business Logistics, Vol.22, No.2, pp.1-25.
• Mentzer, J., Stank, T., &Esper, T., 2008, ‘Supply chain management and its relationship to logistics, marketing, production and operations management’, Journal of Business Logistics; 2008, Vol. 29 Issue 12, pp31-46.
• Moberg, C, Whipple, T, Cutler, B &Speh, T 2004, ‘Do the management components of supply chain management affect logistics performance?’, The International Journal of Logistics Management, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp15-30.
• Russell SH., 2007, ‘SCM: More than Integrated Logistics’, Air Force Journal of Logistics; Summer2007, Vol. 31 Issue 2, pp56-63.
• Sandelands, E 1997, ‘Strategic logistics management’, International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp73-142 (historical perspective).
• Storey, J &Emberson, C 2006, ‘Supply chain management: theory, practice and future, challenges’, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 26, No. 7, pp754-744.
• Strahan, B & Van Bodegraven, A 2011, ‘Logistics vs. The Supply Chain – What Are We Fighting About?’, The Progress Group. http://theprogressgroup.com/publications/wp2_logs.html
• Willersdorf, RG, 2007, ‘Adding value through logistics management’, Logistics Information Management, Vol.3, Issue 4, pp6-8.