• Interview a client who is prescribed multiple medications and at risk for polypharmacy.
• Demonstrate ability to critically think in relation to medication, prescription and over-the-counter meds.
• Examine medication adherence with your selected patient
• Analyze prescription drug use, diagnoses and healthcare utilization for the selected patient.
• Implement an individualized client teaching session based on identified needs.
• Complete a paper summarizing this process and the evaluation of this patient teaching experience. Paper should be 1250-2000 words (approximately 5-8 pages) in length but is not to exceed 2000 words excluding title and reference pages. APA 6th with minimum 5 references.
This assignment has several steps
1. elder in the community setting or a patient in clinical setting who is prescribed at least 4 prescription medications.
2. Complete and interview with this patient as outlined below.
3. Develop a teaching plan based on your findings that you will implement with your patient.
4. Arrange for a second visit in which you will implement your teaching plan focused on preventing complications of polypharmacy.
5. Write a paper detailing and analyzing this full process. This is to include each of the elements as described below.
• Write an introduction: Define the term polypharmacy. How does this individual you selected demonstrate issues of polypharmacy?
• Provide patient historical information: In a narrative provide a brief presentation of the individual’s history
It should include
o Demographic information (age, family constellation, living arrangements)
o Does culture influence decision-making regarding medication usage?
o List PMH, diagnoses and HPI.
o How much does each prescription cost on a monthly basis?
o Does he/she participate in a federally sponsored pharmacy program? If so, how did they make the decision about the appropriate pharmacy program?
• Discuss each prescription and OTC drug(s), listing – name(s), dosage, route, timing and purpose. Describe the pharmacodynamics of each medication listed. This should be presented as a narrative discussion within the paper. All resources must have appropriate citation given.
o What major drug classifications are included in this drug regimen?
o What therapeutic effect is expected form the medications, prescribed and OTC or herbal?
o What side effects can you expect from these medications?
o What potential drug interactions could result from this medication regimen?
o Are there any concerns that reflect the physiologic changes associated with the individual’s aging process?
o What healthcare provider actions are indicated regarding these medications at this time? If none are indicated at this time, what potential actions may be indicated for these medications whit this particular individual?
o How are meds prepared? Where are they stored? What pharmacy does he/she use, mail order or for local for pick-up?
• Summarize your concerns and teaching points which could help prevent the complications of polypharmacy.
• Create a plan for follow-up teaching and review of meds.
o Identify what is necessary with this person regarding issues of polypharmacy.
o Develop an individualized teaching plan which addresses identified concerns and helps to prevent complications of polypharmacy.
Plan should address barriers to learning and include specific content and methodology (pictures, demonstrations, etc.) and measurable outcomes/goals (the client will discuss, list, demonstrate, etc.)
• Evaluate the teaching session.
o Include a summary of the follow-up visit to this client. The summary should include the content of the teaching session highlighting the approach to barriers to learning, your teaching methodology and an evaluation of the client’s learning.