Assignment: Draft a 4-6 page memo, detailing 5-7 requests for business law advice during the start-up stages of a hypothetical company from any industry you choose. Your audience is a non-lawyer CEO who wants to know what legal advice the company should seek and why. Please:
1) explain the legal services that the company should seek (incorporation, a customer contract, employment contracts, etc);
2) the details of each request (limitations of liability, the type of business entity, etc.); and
3) why you are requesting the legal advice.
The memo should include:
1) a brief description (1-2 sentences) of your hypothetical company, e.g. a restaurant, a mobile car sharing app, a website, a food truck, a real estate company, etc.
2) a roadmap summarizing the structure of your memo and your conclusions
3) discrete sections explaining the general nature and details of the legal services the company should seek
4) discrete sections explaining why the company should seek these legal services
This memo will constitute 30% of your overall course grade. You will earn points based on:
Your memorandum should employ clear writing and organization. For writing tips, please visit:
Proper punctuation, grammar, style, and voice—25%
Your memorandum should follow correct grammar and utilize the writing style suggestions from the above tip sheet. Please utilize the writing workshop, as detailed in the syllabus, if you are concerned about your punctuation, grammar, style, argumentation, clarity, and/or voice.
Thoughtful explanations and justifications—25%
Legal requests are complex, and the function of legal documents is complicated. But you must explain the general nature and details of the legal services the company should seek, and provide thoughtful justifications for why the company should seek these legal services.
You are permitted to cite only your textbook(The legal environment of business). When directly quoting your textbook or referencing its arguments, simply mention the source, e.g., “As Essentials of Business Law states, …”). Your memo must use single-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font.