The purpose of the Final Project is to demonstrate your understanding of crime prevention programs and the role crime prevention plays in the overall criminal justice system. You may select a crime prevention program that addresses law enforcement, the courts, or corrections; or it may be a comprehensive program that addresses all three. The program may address the adult justice system, juvenile justice systems, or both.
For the purposes of this assignment, assume you are preparing a proposal to a city, county, or state governmental body to recommend the implementation of a crime prevention program within their jurisdiction. You need to demonstrate the value of the crime prevention program and its effectiveness in reducing crime, which in turn will reduce the overall costs to the jurisdiction and justify the additional expenditures to the community.
Your proposal must include:
1. A summary of the jurisdiction (i.e., city, county, or state) and the portion of the criminal justice system your proposal is designed to address.
2. An analysis of the current trends from three comparable cities in population size, utilizing the SARA model and the Crime Analysis Triangle. (Note: Crime Analysis for Problem Solvers in 60 Small Steps, Steps 7 and 8). You will analyze the data from three similar jurisdictions and compare it to national data.
3. A determination of the appropriate crime prevention strategy for the jurisdiction based on this analysis.
4. A review of academic literature and studies on the various crime prevention programs to address the needs of the community. How does the crime prevention program address social justice issues of the community?
5. An analysis of the various programs showing their effectiveness in comparable jurisdictions.
6. A recommendation of a funding strategy for program implementation.
7. Your anticipated outcomes, both short and long term. How does the crime prevention program affect social justice within the community?