Overview: In Standard English, write a five page (minimum) informative essay over one of the following topics using MLA conventions for formatting, in-text citations, and a works cited list. Your essay should respond directly to the issues and themes of your chosen topic and explain what can be said about your field based on the combined knowledge of your sources. Must include properly cited direct quotations and paraphrases.
Topics: You may focus your purpose on any one or more of these suggested themes.
1) Ethics: Are there any ethically grey areas within your field?
2) Pedagogy: What are considered the BEST teaching methods in your field?
3) Composition: What is considered “professional writing” in your discipline? How might this standard change from project to project?
This project will ask you to exercise your analytical skills by comparing similar works of literature based on a common theme, explaining what their combined input tells us about the current state of knowledge within your discipline.
Due: Feb. 17
Use MLA standard essay formatting:
• Standard header: Your name, professor name, course title, date
• Last name and page number featured on the top right corner of the page
• 12pt size; Times New Roman font; 1” margins; Double spacing
• Do not use a title page
• Any acts of Plagiarism will receive an automatic “F”
Evaluation Guidelines: Excellent (A grade) papers will display the following characteristics:
• An informative thesis that clearly states the current state of knowledge within your discipline
• Textual support for your thesis
• Proper in-text citations for both direct quoting and paraphrasing
• Organized and smooth pattern of ideas
• Carefully crafted sentences in standard academic English