Explain the relationship between the development of computer hardware platforms and the evolution of computer games
The Games Industry course work
LO1 Explain the relationship between the development of computer hardware platforms and the evolution of computer games
LO2 Deconstruct computer games, recognising the underlying paradigms
LO3 Evaluate and games programs using a range of usability criteria
This assignment requires you to deconstruct a computer game, identifying its users and analysing its usability.
You should select one computer game and write a report addressing each of the following tasks:
The game I choosen is Crysis see http://www.pcgamer.com/the-100-best-pc-games-of-all- time/#page-3
1. Describe the game’s function, mode or modes of play, ‘game mechanics’, storyline, characters, graphical style and interface levels etc.
2. Analyse the game’s genre. You may wish to do so by comparing the game with games of similar genre and by reference to relevant criteria. It is particularly interesting when a game can be categorised in more than one genre. Analysis of this will gain additional credit. Must include screen shots of the game while you describing the levels of the game .this can be screenshots from YouTube if you can’t play the game
- Does the computer game have its origins in any non-computer based game (e.g. board game, card game, a sport) and if so to what extent. If not, what unique game playing features is the computer technology able to offer and how does that influence its playability?
4. Discuss the extent to which your selected game is platform dependent. What are or might be the implications of adapting the game to a wider range of platforms. The game history timeline and which consoles played on? Wii, Nintendo play station three etc..
5. Identify the user demographic for which the game was developed using any appropriate means. You should include academically acceptable justifications for the conclusions you draw. What age the game designed for 10 year old? 20 all ranges?
6. Evaluate the computer game using suitable usability and playability criteria.
You may use annotated screen shots of the example game to support your textual submission.
The report should be at least 3000 words long. Your sources of information should be clearly acknowledged using the Harvard referencing method. Penalties for plagiarism or collusion will be applied.
A Report on ‘Deconstructing a Computer Game’ addressing the issues and questions outline for the task, of 3000 words, with a word count included at the end of the document.
Grade A, as per grade B plus:
• Student has shown something extra in the way the work has been approached and executed
• Deep understanding, insight or research evidenced by the clarity, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth and breadth of coverage
• Evidence of significant analysis, synthesis and evaluation
• An element of originality
• A wide range of informative research sources used to support the analysis and synthesis
• Evidence of real learning by the student