Make-up Exam (20 points, 5 points for each essay)
For exam #3, you must complete four (4) essay questions using standard essay format. The answers to each essay question can be found in your textbook, Essentials of Sociology. The exam is due on Thursday, December 1, 2016. Other guidelines are as follows:
- Standard Essay Format
- Paragraph One: Introduction and thesis statement.
- Paragraph or section two: Supporting detail (1) and explanation.
- Paragraph or section three: Supporting detail (2) and explanation.
- Paragraph or section four: Supporting detail (3) and explanation.
- Paragraph Five:
- Each essay should be at least 250 words (1 page).
- Each essay should be double-spaced.
- Each essay should be type-written in a 12-point font.
- Each essay should have a one inch margin on each side.
- Each essay should include proper grammar, spelling and syntax.
- The thesis statement should be clear and concise.
- The supporting paragraphs/sections should clearly defend the thesis statement.
- The essay should include at least three (3) key terms from the textbook to support your ideas.
KEY TERM: family , kinship, marriage, nuclear family, extended family, family of orientation, family of procreation, matrilocal family, patrilocal family,
Monogamy, polygamy, polygyny, polyandry, primary socialization, personality stabilization, stepfamily, cohabitation
- According to Essentials of Sociology, there are two (2) main functions of the family; however, from a feminist perspective, these “functions” are problematic. Please explain the functionalist perspective of the family and compare and contrast the functionalist perspective with the feminist perspective of the family.
- According to Essentials of Sociology, there are new family forms that are significantly affecting the ways in which we define family. Please name and explain three (3) of these new family forms.
- In what ways does education perpetuate inequality in American society? Name and explain three (3) ways that education perpetuates inequality using at least three (3) key terms from your textbook and high light it.
KEY TERM: home schooling, tracking , hidden curriculum, intelligence, theism, alienation, profane, secular, secularization, church, sect, denomination, cult, religious nationalism, liberation theology
- In your opinion, in what ways does religion have to evolve in order to remain relevant for 21st Century American society? Use the key terms secular thinking or secularization, religious nationalism and liberation theology in your answer.