English and Literature
At this point, you have learnedmany fundamentals of theatre and performance. As mentioned in the introductionto the course, one of your main course assignments is to see a live productionand to write a 500- to 750-word review of a performance. As stated in the syllabusyou were to see two productions at the Jerry Herman Ring Theater this semesterand retain your program. Now you are to write a production review of oneof these two productions
Your text book provides someguidelines for writing a review. You can also look at this [A] level studentexample from a professional production of A LESSON BEFORE DYING. In ityou will see how the required guidelines were adhered to:
1. Be sure toname the production, and where it was produced
2. Thereview is to based on the elements of production and not as a piece of dramaticliterature (DO NOT TELL ME THE PLOT).
3. Be sure toname the Director. Tell me what you thought of their direction (pick amoment or scene) and be as specific as possible. Did you like it, did itfurther your understanding of the play or the reverse. Use the examplesin the book and on line of other critiques of productions as reviewed by the NYTimes.
4. Be sure toname each of the Designers (Set, Costume, Lighting and Sound) and (pick amoment or scene) and be as specific as possible tell did you like it, did itfurther your understanding of the play or the reverse.
5. Be sure toname one Actor. Who did they play? You need only name one. Did you likewhat he or she did as an actor to convey character (not did you like thecharacter). What did they do (as a trained actor to make you feel (pro orcon) the way they made you felt. DON’T refer to the Actor visa vie tthecharacter’s name for the choices the actor make in the playing of thecharacter. Don’t confuse what the actor did/how they portayed an momenton stage with what the character they play is supposed to do because it is partof the plot.
Be sure to have a nice conclusion, and that the paperflows from one idea to the next, supported by what you saw and yourunderstanding of the Theatre.
Upload your assignment to the title link above.
The play we saw was Metamorphoses
The Adrienne Arsht Center and The University of Miami Department of Theatre Arts present