You are required to produce a critical review of the literature which will enable you to define and individually investigate a focused area that relates directly to your programme, route or pathway. Your choice of topic will generally be driven by either an issue encountered during the process of undertaking the consultancy, or an aspect of theory related to the sector or industry within which your project was located. You should discuss your initial ideas and agree your final choice with your supervisor.
Your research question must be explicitly related to your course:
And consultancy project (client, sector)
It is expected that your literature review will broadly achieve the following:
- Establishing the context and structure of your chosen area and its significance
- A synthesis of current views and suggesting new perspectives
- Identifying relationships between ideas and practice
- Distinguishing the theory development that has been undertaken in your chosen area and highlighting gaps in knowledge or work which still needs to be done.
You may also wish to consider:
- Identifying the main methodologies and research techniques that have been used to research your area
- Placing the research in a historical context
Work should be structured as an ‘academic paper’, using section headings to organise main themes and ideas. You should include an introduction, the literature review itself, a concluding paragraph and a list of references. Include any diagrams or figures in the text if appropriate. Referencing must be to Harvard Standard.