Contemporary Arab Thought. Political Science
Compare and contrast the successes and failures of Arab Marxism and Arab Islamism since their 1920s emergence in the Arab region to the present day – where they succeeded and failed, during what periods of time, and why.
Also use these sources in the specific chapters provided
• Bash?r, Sulaym?n, Communism in the Arab East 1918-1928 (London: Ithaca Press, 1980). Chapter 3
• Jean Mathews, Marxism and the Muslim World (New York: Penguin, 1974).
• Allan Woods, Revolution until Victory: Arab Revolutions, a Marxist Analysis (London: Wellred Books, 2011). Introduction chapter
• Maxime Rodinson, Marxism and the Muslim world; translated [from the French] by Michael Pallis (London: Monthly Review Books, 1982). chapter 12,2,3
• Tareq Y.Ismael, The Arab left (Syracuse, N.Y. : Syracuse University Press, 1976).
• Abdel Moghny Said, Arab socialism (London : Blandford Press, 1972).
• Albert Hourani, Arabic Thought in the Liberal Age 1798-1939 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1983).
• Malcom Kerr, Islamic Reform: The Political and Legal Theories of Muhammad Abdu and Rashid Rida (Berkeley: California University Press, 1966).
• Peter Mandaville, Global Political Islam (Routledge: 2007).
• Roel Meijer, Global Salafism: Islam’s New Religious Movement (London: Hurst, 2010). Chapter 2, 3
• John Esposito, Islamic Threat: Myth and Reality (3rd edition) (Oxford: Oxford 2002).
• Khaled Hroub (ed.), Political Islam: Context vs. Ideology (London: Saqi Books, 2010). intro, chapter 1.