Buddhism and Islam
To successfully complete this project, you will be expected to apply what you have learned in this course and should include several of the following course and module objectives:
• Define and discuss relevant religious terminology.
• Explain basic themes of religion, particularly reflecting on the practice of service (compassion/charity) in the religious traditions covered.
• Apply critical thinking skills in the context of the study of religion.
• Identify value in religion, particularly beyond your own in particular.
• Discuss how the great themes of the world religions apply to individuals’ daily lives.
• Define service and describe the connection of service to various religious traditions.
• Articulate the essentials of at least one religious tradition (other than the one they entered the course with).
Main Elements of Final Product
In this project you should provide some background on the religion to which you belong or with which you are most familiar.
• How long have you known about or practiced this religion?
• Why do you know about or practice this religion?
• How has this course affected what you know about or how you practice this religion?
In your paper, be sure to answer the following questions about both the Eastern and Western religions Buddhism and Islam
• What are the origins of this religion?
• How did it develop over time?
• What are the major influences from outside the religion? What are the significant divisions within the religion?
• What are the contemporary issues facing the religion?
• What role does charity play in this religion?
• Did it start out as a sect or a church?
• How does it compare to the Dionysian and Apollonian traditions of the past?
• Has it ever switched from rejecting the world to accepting it (or vice versa)?
• What are it.s Gnostic and literalist components?