Assignment 3: A Comparison-Contrast Essay
Comparison-contrast writing is based on one of the most common thinking strategies that people employ. By writing these essays, however, you will learn to apply
systematically an approach that you have, no doubt, used intuitively.
For this project, write a comparison-contrast essay (600-800 words) that, once again, has some connection with your field. Consider these kinds of possibilities or
develop a set of topics on your own:
• Two supervisors
• Two teachers of similar courses in your major
• Two practitioners in your field
• Two sub-specialties in our field
• Two working environments
• Two journals in your field
• Two conferences or organizations for people in your field
• Follow MLA guidelines for manuscript form (see Beacon 550-52).
• Save your assignment as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx).
• Submit the assignment to the appropriate Blackboard dropbox.
• The essay will be evaluated on (1) the selection of “equivalent” subjects, (2) the articulation of a useful thesis statement, (3) the presentation of useful
distinctions, (4) the arrangement of your discussions, (5) the quality of the descriptions and explanations, (6) the value of the insights to be gained, and (7)
• Due Monday, September22nd by 10:00 a.m.