A service company
Individual Assignment 1
Students will work individually. Each student will chose a service company and visit the company to understand its operations. The name of the company to be confirmed with the professor by latest Monday, March 10, 2014 to avoid overlapping as each student must chose a different operation. The allocation of the company is first come first served basis.
The student will write a maximum 5 pages report (cover page not included) regarding the operation of the selected service company. Students will ask questions to the staff and use their own customer experience and act like a mystery shopper for this organization.
1. The student will write a brief information/history about the company and its operations (including who is the owner/sponsor in the UAE, when it has been established, its roots, current management etc.). Web information can be used (however needs to be paraphrased) (2 marks)
2. Each student will describe the service package of the company (page 18-20) (3 marks)
3. How are the distinctive characteristics of service operations are applied to the selected company? (pg 14-18) (2 marks)
4. How the elements of the strategic service vision can be demonstrated in this company? (page 30-32) (2 marks)
5. What kind of “Generic Competitive Strategy” is followed/used by the company? i.e. Overall cost leadership, differentiation or focus. Explain the clues that you find that supports your opinion for that specific company. (3 marks)
6. In terms of customer handling and service management, make a brief SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and treats) analysis for the firm and try to define minimum 4 statements each area which apply to the company. (4 marks)
7. If you would be the manager of the company what kind of amendments/improvements would you implement in this service operations. (2 marks)
Format requirements (1 mark):
• The report will have a cover page including student name, number, name of the company name of the assignment name of the course and professor.
• The report to be written in Times Roman 12 font with single space.
• Reports follows the headings (bolded and underlined) and instructions given above.
• Report submitted on time via moodle. (each late submission day costs 1 mark)
? Report Deadline: March 27, 2014
? Mark Distribution: 20 % of the total course marks
? Use your own sentences. Do your own report. No tolerance for plagiarism.
? Learn from it.