IT Strategic Planning, Web 3.0 and Social Networks, and Evidence Based Medicine
Evidence Based Medicine (EBM) (also known as Evidence Based Care (EBC), Clinical Decision Support (CDS)) is a means of evaluating the current best clinical practices and applying that information to the care of an individual patient. The EBM goal is to get current information into the hands of clinicians at the point of care where patient treatment decisions are made. Electronic information systems are well suited to this task, especially if they are integrated with the patient’s electronic medical record. HIMSS Clinical Informatics Insights (www.himss.org/clinicalinformaticsinsights ) is a provider’s source for timely and comprehensive articles that reflect effective integration of informatics across the continuum of care. Clinical Informatics Insights is a monthly complimentary e-newsletter highlighting improvements in clinical quality achieved through the development and support of health IT practices, policies and end-user tools.
I suggest you might consider the complimentary online subscription to HIMSS Clinical Informatics Insights.
1. Your discussion assignment is to select one of the last six issues of HIMSS Clinical Informatics Insights, read the In this Issue: introduction, and then do a review of a featured article of your choice. Be sure to identify the author and article name. As part of your review, include a paragraph on what question has been left unanswered in your mind. (1 PAGE)
2. If a healthcare organization needs a strategy for lowering its costs of care, what types of IT applications might it consider? If the organization needs a strategy for improving the quality of care, what types of IT applications might it consider? Compare the two lists. (1PAGE)
3. Write a review of a current article(s) assigned by your instructor. (1PAGE)
1. IT and EBM. The article is on www.professorsteve.com under FACT Sheet (If your research shows an IT and EBM article with the last three years with the same overview of IT and EBM and with examples of how it is applied, please include it in your review. )
2. The Imperative for CPOE …also found under FACT Sheet.
A follow-up update to the “Imperative for CPOE” came out recently. You can see it at https://www.maehi.org/useful-resources/documents-and-forms/ehealth-reports along with other articles addressing both barriers and solutions. Most interesting site. They also have an e-newsletter if you want to be kept updated on their studies.
Lesson 4.2 Project Situation: Post Implementation Study (1PAGE)
Post-implementation study of a project and its learning experience:
1. The post-implementation phase of a project usually occurs three to six months after the system has become live. Post-implementation studies are critical to learn what you did right, what you would do differently if you could do it again, documents your achievements, and informs others of the process and successes.
A. Provide a web reference, and a one paragraph summary, of a current article on the value of a post implementation study.
B. Discuss how you will do a post-implementation evaluation of your system and what changes you would make in future variations of the system.
C. How do you know the benefits are fully or partially achieved? What changed in the organization because of these documented the benefits? For example, if you reduced outpatient throughput from thirty minutes to twenty minutes, what became of the staff/cost/revenue savings of ten minutes per patient?
D. How do you take what you did right, and what did you did wrong, and turn it into a positive for the organization?
E. How could you use a social network to obtain information and inform others of the achievements and learning experience of this project?
F. Decide one post-implementation question in your mind that has been left unanswered.