The Assignment Brief
You are to produce a report consisting of three parts of approximately 4,000 words (10+/-), based on your personal experience during the programme, drawing on your learning diary, and supported by the theory covered in the module. Although you will draw on your reflections and experiences of cross cultural differences, you must relate your experiences to that of the theories covered during the module.
The assignment is worth 100% of your overall grade for this module, and consists of three questions of which you have to answer all three.
Question One (approx. 12,600 words) 40 Marks
This question is to address the following areas of the subject. You do not have to follow it in this way, provided the following headings are addressed in your discussions and reflections.
1. The Application of Cross-Cultural Theory and Concepts to the Groups that you work in order to carry out activities and workshop exercises.
Your groups have provided you with the opportunity to reflect on the practical application of the cross cultural theories and the opportunity of experiencing cultural differences. After recording some of your most notable experiences in your Learning Diary, which can be found in SunSpace and will also, be given to you by your module leader/tutor. You will be required to analyse your experiences of cultural similarities and/or differences, based on your group’s interactions, by drawing on the relevant theory.
2. Focus on One’s Self. How I felt about what was happening to me during the course and in my group. What effect my group had on me. What I learned about my own behaviour. What influence I had on my group.
3. Focus on Other Members of the Group. The effect each individual had on my group and my group on him or her, and how I felt about it.
4. Focus on Interactions. The interactions and relationships between members of my group, what effect these had on the group, and how I felt about it.
Question Two (approx. 12,600 words) 40 Marks
Imagine that you are working in a cross-cultural team in a department of a subsidiary based in a country like China, India or Pakistan. The mother company originates from a developed country like UK, Germany or America. You are required to investigate the following:
– How do you perceive that organizational culture fits the national culture in this venture?
– Are there any tensions encountered and if there are, what is your plan towards initiating possible organisational changes?
– Which type of management culture you feel needs to be adopted?
– Which ways you will deploy in order to handle conflict, if it becomes inevitable among individuals in the subsidiary?
– What would be your recommendations in terms of developing, improving and sustaining the operation of the specific subsidiary by considering all the cross-cultural implications?
Question Three (approx. 800 words) 20 Marks
Discuss and analyse the role of power in cross-cultural interactions, drawing upon examples. In your answer, you must apply a theory or concept of power,
You need to choose ONE the following two examples:
– Either, to discuss the role of power or hegemony within the boundaries of ethics and ethical organisational practices (CSR).
– Or, to discuss the role of power in relation to the suppression of diversity such as the advance of women in managerial positions within organizations.
You are expected to utilise theories/theoretical frameworks, in order to structure your arguments, supported by examples.
The Assignment Brief